Sunday, July 17, 2011

Riches Do Not Satisfy

He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity. When goods increase, they increase who eat them, and what advantage has their owner but to see them with his eyes?  (Ecclesiastes 5:10-11)

Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death.(Proverbs 11:4)

Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them. (Psalm 62:10)


These are some passages that came to mind when I read this story of "a relatively young"  banker who described himself as "desperately nervous about losing the money I have earned. I feel so focused on becoming wealthy that my life is becoming unmanageable and I am always looking at my bottom line."

While it is true that most people prefer prosperity to poverty, life to death, and flourishing to ossification, economic prosperity will not satisfy our most inward longing of the heart--to have peace with God.

As Jesus said, "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." (Matthew 6:33).

No comments:

Post a Comment